Friday, August 26, 2005

A little side note

Today's post is not about food at all, but more about... life in general. I've been closely following the developing love and relationship between two Japanese bloggers, and tomorrow, I am meeting them for dim sum. Their story is quite intriguing and reminds me that life is precious - that living life to the fullest requires courage, heart, and resolve.

The two lovebirds met via links from mutual blogger friends and started leaving comments on each others' blogs. Shuko-san from Japan and Ted from the Bay Area continued to develop their inter-Pacific online friendship through blog posts, comments, and emails. When Shuko-san had time for a vacation, she headed over to the Bay Area to meet some of her Bay Area blogger friends, and Ted was included in the group. They spent a lovely week in Santa Cruz, and when she realized that in Ted, she saw the man she really wanted to be with, she picked up her belongings and moved to the Bay Area. Just like that. She didn't look back, she didn't hesitate, she didn't question. Unafraid of failure or of getting hurt, she hurtled herself into the situation.

I don't have that kind of strength to believe in myself - or to trust my judgment of those around me, I suppose. Her strength to follow her heart and her ability to pursue her desires are truly inspirational. I wish I could. I really do. But instead I find myself wishing that things were different in my life. What's stopping me from making it better? What's stopping me from following my heart? Only myself. Only myself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost all the people hold same feeling as you have when they see Shuko-san's blog. That's the reason why Shuko-san gets many comments for her every posted article.
People, including me, want to be like her, but actually that's quite difficult because we don't want to lose things we have built...

Alice said...

Molly,

You are so right. So right. But some things are scary - especially when my decisions can hurt someone else's feelings. Life is a strange and scary thing...

Pirorin-san,

It was so nice to see you at dim sum too! Shuko-san's brave outlook is amazing, and I'm so glad to have a friend like her - and so glad how she openly shares her life and outlook with the rest of us!