Friday, April 22, 2005

SHF: Baked Molasses Sesame Donuts

This is going to be a SHORT post, since I've got a plane to catch & my bags aren't packed yet!!!

Here's my SHF Molasses recipe. I probably wouldn't have done this one if the theme wasn't molasses! Molasses is one of those sad ingredients that have long been misunderstood. It was originally a by-product of sugar refining, so it gets a bad rep. Molasses these days can be found as reduced sugar cane syrup and these unsulphured pure cane syrup is a true treat.

SHF1
With Grandma's Molasses Original, I made molasses sesame donuts with a pomegranate molasses glaze. Since this was my first time making baked donuts (all the molasses donut recipes I could find were fried & I didn't want to deep fry this morning) and I winged this recipe, it didn't rise as well as I thought. I was also dealing with the same baking powder/soda issue as last time's IMBB cupcake, so I just took two flat halves and joined them together with the glaze in the middle. Hey, what's a girl to do when things don't turn out just right? You pick yourself up and fix it!

SHF2

Recipe:
Dry:
1/2 cup almond powder
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup black sesame (toasted)
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp sea salt

Wet:
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup non-fat plain yogurt
1 cup pure cane molasses
1/3 cup peanut oil

Beat eggs well, add yogurt, molasses, and peanut oil. In a separate container, whisk together all dry ingredients. Mix dries with wets. Empty into zip lock bag or pastry bag and squeeze out in donut shapes onto aluminum foil on cookie sheet. Bake 375 - 400F for 15-20 min, until donuts spring back when you lightly press them.

Glaze:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1/4 cup or less pomegranate molasses
I eye balled this. Sorry. You just want to add enough molasses so that it tastes like pomegranate without making the glaze runny.

No comments: